The Animation Industry: Film, TV, and Gaming Animation

As mentioned in class, one of the biggest differences between animation for film and games is that in film, the animation needs to be as detailed as possible, whereas in games less information is better, and in TV a compromise must be reached as the animator must create their work as quickly as possible while still doing a good job.

I did a little bit more research and found some other interesting points. For example, in game animation, the player is able to view the character from any angle, and therefore the animation must look good all the way around and in any lighting, whereas in film animation, the animator only has to worry about the shots that the camera can see and the lighting/setting that exists in that clip- albeit to a more intense extent. In TV, the animator faces these same challenges but with much quicker deadlines.

It’s hard to say at this point what my career goals are in animation, but I feel that I still lean towards the gaming industry. I like the idea of my existing at any angle and in any setting, able to be translated and adapted to the needs of the media, it’s part of the reason I feel drawn to computer animation as opposed to traditional in the first place.

Source:

“Animation for Games vs Animation for Movies.” Pluralsight, Pluralsight, LLC, 4 Mar. 2020, www.pluralsight.com/blog/film-games/how-animation-for-games-is-different-from-animation-for-movies.